In the Scottish region of West Lothian, you'll find the town of Linlithgow. It used to be the county town of West Lothian, which is reflected in the fact that the county used to be called Linlithgowshire in the past. Alongside Linlithgow Loch, this mediaeval settlement can be found in the Central Belt of Scotland, on a significant road that once connected Linlithgow and Falkirk.
- Linlithgow Postcode EH49
- Linlithgow Geolocation Latitude 55.9759777° N Longitude -3.619942° E
- Linlithgow Map
- Linlithgow Weather Forecast
- Linlithgow Reviews
- Linlithgow Discussion Forum
- Linlithgow Tracks & Routes
Linlithgow Palace was the birthplace of James V and Mary, Queen of Scots, and the remains of the palace may be found in the Royal Burgh of Linlithgow, which is steeped in history. A trip to the Palace, which is now a ruin, and a stroll around the Loch that is adjacent to it are both popular activities for tourists to enjoy today.
The St. Michael's Parish Church can be found just next to the Palace. Built in the 15th century, it is the most complete example of a late mediaeval church in Scotland that has survived to the present day.
A stroll down High Street reveals a large number of historic buildings. The Linlithgow Story is recounted in the Linlithgow Community Museum, which traces the historical connections between the town and some of Scotland's most notable Kings. Other historic homes in the area include the House of the Binns and Blackness Castle, both of which are located beyond the city limits. The Stately Home of Hopetoun House, which is approximately 10 miles distant, is another location that is well worth a visit.
Whisky production and paper manufacturing were historically significant contributors to the local economy. The Union Canal was finished in 1822, completing the connection between Edinburgh and Glasgow that had been started by the Forth and Clyde Canal. Before the Glasgow and Edinburgh Railway came along in 1842, this was a very profitable transportation route. However, the Glasgow and Edinburgh Railway eventually replaced it. Today, both smaller local businesses and major enterprises may be found thriving within the town itself as well as on its outskirts.