- Kincardine Postcode AB34
- Kincardine Latitude 56.0690° N Longitude -3.7167° W
- Kincardine Weather Forecast
- Kincardine Map
- Kincardine Reviews
Kincardine Fife or Kincardine-on-Forth is a small town on the north shore of the Firth of Forth, built over a period of the 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries, a former hub of shipbuilding.
When the Kincardine Bridge was built, it was the longest swing bridge in Europe, allowing ships to continue up the river to alloa and Stirling, the bridge has not swung since 1988, to day only small craft go upriver.
In 2004, a new road opened to the east of the village, taking part of the traffic from the Kincardine Bridge away from Kincardine altogether, in November 2008 a new bridge opened called the Clackmannanshire Bridge,
In the 1900 Kincardine was still no more than a small river port with a steam ferry plying across the Forth, with coal being mined extensively in the surrounding area,
Today Kincardine is a quieter, pleasant place, from here you can take the Fife Coastal Route, an 85 mile drive through charming towns, pretty fishing villages, sandy beaches and attractions, in the north of the county there are many buildings of architectural note, including Dunnottar Castle, a number of 17th-century castles, and several ruined churches.
In the neighbourhood of Fettercairn there arose in the reign of William the Lion the fortress of hammer dressed sandstone that was the royal castle of Kincardine. There, in 1296, the scroll of John Balliol‘s resignation of the Scottish Crown in favour of Edward I of England was written.
The castle was ﬁnally demolished in 1646. In the meantime the town of Kincardine itself had ﬂourished and declined.
It was never more than a row of straggling clay built hovels extending from the East Port near Kincardine Castle to the West Port near Fettercairn House.
Stonehaven replaced it as the county town in the l7th century but it had its market cross, and part, at least, of that ancient monument is believed to form the shaft of Fettercairns market cross today, having been moved there in 1730, along with the annual fair of St Catherine.
Nothing remains on the site of Kincardine now but the disused kirkyard of the vanished St Catherine’s Chapel.