Fort Augustus visitor information guide
- Fort Augustus Latitude: 57.145014 Longitude: -4.680675
- Fort Augustus Postcode PH32
- Fort Augustus Map
- Fort Augustus Weather Forecast
- Fort Augustus Reviews
Fort Augustus offers a variety of holiday accommodation ranging from hotels to B&B with quality self catering properties. This town at the southern end of Loch Ness takes its name from William Augustus, the Duke of Cumber land who made the fort his quarters after his success at CULLODEN in 1746. Besides its more recent history this village, originally called Kilchumein, after a follower of St Colomba, has an ancient lineage.
Much of the site of the old fort is now occupied by a Benedictine Abbey and a highly regarded school. The Abbey School was erected in 1876, a fine building with many architectural features that catch the eye. In the old cemetery of the parish church lies the grave of John Anderson, a carpenter friend of Robert Burns made famous in the latter's poem 'John Anderson My Jo'.
Fort Augustus offers stunning views down Loch Ness, with many beautiful walks and an excellent golf course, or if you prefer, idle your time away watching the boats negotiate up and down the locks.
- loch Oich
This straight narrow and relatively shallow loch required considerable dredging during the construction of the canal to Fort Augustus. This busy little town at the southern end of Loch Ness sits astride the Caledonian Canal and its several locks.
(It becomes a bottleneck for traffic when the swing bridge opens)
The Great Glen Exhibition recounts by means of exhibits and a film the history of the Great Glen from the vitrified forts of Pictish times to the present day.
Fort Augustus Abbey stands on the site of Wade's 18C fort at the south end of Loch Ness. In 1867 the property was presented to the Benedictine Order and monks from one of the few remaining Scottish monastic foundations in Germany settled in Fort Augustus.
The community of Benedictine monks continues its educational role with the running of a Catholic secondary school. The Abbey Church is an interesting 20C achievement.
The Caledonian Canal Visitor Centre is a British Waterways Museum about the history of the canal and the village.
The Fort Augustus car park is in a central location with public toilets, telephone and bus stop next to it. Running through the village is the River Oich and the impressive 60 mile long Caledonian Canal and lock system, built by Thomas Telford in the early 1800s.
The Caledonian Canal stretches from Fort William to Inverness, is linked by a series of natural lochs and has a flight of 5 locks from the top of the canal in Fort Augustus down onto Loch Ness.