Since 1935 Dyce the site of Aberdeen airport, now greatly enlarged thanks to oil-related traffic this rapidly expanding industrial area is the tip of a conurbation extending along the south bank of the Don from Aberdeen, beginning with Kittybrewster, the city's mart centre and including Woodside (formerly an independent burgh), Bucksburn. Bankhead. and Stoneywood.
Just above Dyce, the Don, falls 100 ft in a short distance, a fact of great economic importance, since it provides abundant water power, which has been utilized since the 18th century by paper making and textile mills of world wide fame, while along the highland south of the river extends a series of granite quarries.
- Dyce Postcode AB21
- Dyce Geolocation Latitude 57.2035° N Longitude -2.1902° W
- Dyce Map
- Dyce Reviews
- Dyce Discussion Forum
- Dyce Tracks & Routes
The village dates from the 1860s, when it became important as the junction of the main railway line to Inverness and the Buehan and Formartine railway, closed many years ago.
It was at Dyce that HM. the Queen in November 1975 ‘turned on the tap’ which sent oil flowing from the North Sea Forties Field by pipeline to Grangemouth refinery and thence to Dalmeny and the Hound Point terminal. There is a selection of holiday or business accommodation available which includes Hotels, B&B, Guest Houses and self catering accommodation in the area.
To the south beyond the haugh on which the airfield lies, are two ridges, Tyrebagger Hill 823 ft with a stone circle and view indicator), and the Hill of Marcus, on whose eastern slope the road from Pitmedden to Kinaldie yields one of the ﬁnest views in Aberdeenshire. The ancient ruined church of Dyce (long supplanted by others in the village) overlooks the gorge of Cothal and has two Pictish symbol stones built into the east gable.