- Buckie Postcode AB56
- Buckie 57.6774° N Longitude -2.9673° W
- Buckie Map
- Buckie Weather Forecast
- Buckie Reviews
- Buckie Discussion Forum
Buckie Banffshire, on Spey Bay, about l mile down off the A98, a straggling port and conurbation, was once the largest town in the former county, its harbour the busiest on the Moray Firth.
Two hundred years ago the villages of Easter and Nether Buckie had a total population of some 700 now, Buckie, which has absorbed the hamlet of Buckpool Gordonsburgh, lanstown. Portlessie. and Strathlene. has a far larger population and in summer many hundreds more, for it is a popular holiday resort with caravan sites and two golf courses in addition to its swimming pool and other marine amenities.
This had been a fishing community for generations, but it was John Gordon of Cluny who as recently as 1872 built the Cluny harbour that put Buckie into the forefront of the line-ﬁshing industry and enabled it to become one of the busiest herring ports in Scotland. The herring fishing has declined but the harbour is still busy with fishing and other craft.
In the centre of the town, on the cliff-top below which lie the harbour basins and the fish market, is Cluny Square With at its west end. another square dominated by the spires of St Peter’s Roman Catholic Church, built in 1857, and a reminder that for many years after the Reformation this was a Catholic stronghold, indeed. at an ancient kirkyard of St Ninian‘s at Chapeltlord. 6 miles south west of Buckie. there was built the first Catholic church in Scotland since the Reformation, but this was destroyed by anti-Catholics in 1728 and the site is marked by a cross in memory of Bishop Nicholson. the first Bishop Apostolic of Scotland. Who died in 1718. In 1755 the laird of Tynet gave the Catholics a former cottage in which they might worship, and this, restored and in use, is known as the ‘Bantlshire Bethlehem’.
Portgordon, 2 miles west of Buckie, was created by the 4th Duke of Gordon in 1797 as a trading port for the export of grain and later became a herring ﬁshing centre, the harbour is derelict but the fishing community remains.