The distillery started life in 1897 Tamdhu matures its whisky exclusively in the finest Oloroso sherry casks, the casks are exceptionally rare and expensive.
They began to modernise the original floor maltings in 1949 and introduce Saladin boxes, a French invention that mechanises the barley turning process.
The name Tamdhu comes from Gaelic for little dark hill.
The distillery was founded in 1896 by a group of assemblers, wishing to engage in the production of their own whisky to produce single malt Scotch Speyside whisky located in the village of Knockando in Banffshire Scotland.
The first malt whisky was distilled and casked in 1897.
The distillery has 3 wash stills and 3 spirit stills, its annual production of pure alcohol is 4 million gallons, the whisky is almost completely used for the production of blended whiskies.
- Tamdhu Distillery Postcode AB38 7RP
- Tamdhu Distillery Geolocation Latitude 57.459057 Longitude -3.353382
- Tamdhu Distillery Map
- Tamdhu Distillery weather forecast
- Tamdhu Distillery Reviews
- Tamdhu Distillery Discussion Forum
- Tamdhu Distillery Tracks & Routes