Mingary Castle situated in Kilchoan, Acharacle postcode PH36 4LH Argyl This early 13th century curtain wall castle is sited on the rocky south shore of Ardnamurchan It was the ancient seat of the Maclans of Ardnamurchan a branch of Clan Donald who were outlawed in the early 17th century and gradually disappeared from this district. James IV visited Mingary Castle in 1495 when he received the submission of the island chiefs. In 1644 it was used captured for Montrose and afterwards used as a prison for a few Covenanters.
- Mingary Castle Geolocation Latitude 56.69361° N Longitude -6.08083° E
- Mingary Castle Map
- Mingary Castle Weather Forecast
- Mingary Castle Reviews
- Mingary Castle Discussion Forum
- Mingary Castle Tracks & Routes
In the early 18th century a barrack block was built against the inner face of the curtain wall and the castle was garrisoned in 1745. The Governor there at this time was Campbell of Achinduin he was the first official to hear the news of Prince Charles Edward Stuart's landing in Moidart.