Covesea Moray, lying on the coast of the Moray Firth between Lossiemouth and Hopeman, is noted for its fine, sandy bathing beach, above which ride old red sandstone cliffs of between 60 and 100 ft high.
Standing on top of these is a lighthouse built in 1844, and nearby is a popular caravan site. There are several notable caves in the district, one of which is reputed to have been the terminus of an underground passage leading to nearby Gordonstoun House.
- Covesea Geolocation Latitude 57.72404° N Longitude -3.3385909° E
- Covesea Map
- Covesea Weather Forecast
- Covesea Reviews
- Covesea Discussion Forum
- Covesea Tracks & Routes
Another is known as the Laird’s Stable, and is believed to have been used by Sir Robert Gordon to hide his horses during the Jacobite Rising of 1745, In more recent times it was occupied by a hermit. A third cave nearer Hopeman bears signs of early occupancy, for in the 19th century figures of Celtic art such as a half-moon and fish were discovered sculptured in its ceiling. Offshore a chain of skerries, which was once the scene of many shipwrecks runs parallel to the coast.