The Monach Isles are separated from the west of North Uist by the Sound of Monach some 6 miles wide, sometimes called Heisker, is a group with two main islands.
In 1864 a lighthouse was built on Shillay, but with changes in shipping routes it became unnecessary and was closed some years ago. Ceann Ear was also inhabited by crofters, but most of the people emigrated to Canada and the group is now deserted.
Until the16th century the channel between North Uist and the Monachs could be crossed on foot at low tide, but heavy seas changed the coastline and there is now deep sea.
- Monach Isles Geolocation Latitude 57.5235° N Longitude -7.6166° W
- Monach Isles Map
- Monach Isles Weather Forecast
- Monach Isles Reviews
- Monach Isles Discussion Forum
- Monach Isles Tracks & Routes