|Track length:||92.53 km|
|Total ascent:||0 m|
|Total descent:||0 m|
|Difficulty Level:||3/5 - Medium|
The construction of the road was begun in 1731 by General Wade; it was not an easy task. The road is around 22 miles long and was finished in approximately six months, a feat that would be astounding even today with the advanced earth-moving technology that is available. About 500 men were employed on the project.
In subsequent centuries, drovers made considerable use of it to drive vast numbers of cattle to the trysts or marketplaces in Falkirk and Crief.
After the failure of the Jacobite Rising in 1715, this famous section of the military road from Dalwhinnie to Fort Augustus opened up the Highlands. Many Highlanders of the time did not like the roads because they seemed to take away their privacy and render them more vulnerable to the English authorities.
The height of the pass's summit is 2,507 feet, and it is located on the side of the approach that has seventeen traverses. Each traverse was buttressed on the outside by a stone wall that was between 10 and 15 feet high, and it was flanked on the inside by a drain. In August of 1745, Prince Charles Edward Stuart led his army through it as they traversed from west to east after raising their flag. This was the first time it was used in any significant capacity.