- Reay Latitude 58.559065 Longitude -3.775444
- Reay Postcode KW14
- Reay Map
- Reay Weather Forecast
- Reay Reviews
Reay Caithness, The present village of Reay stands near the head of Sandside Bay on the north coast of Caithness, but an earlier village was buried in the stand in the carly 18th century. The village gave its name to Mackay of Farr chief of the Clan Mackay, in 1628. and the description 'Reay Country' came to bc used for great tracks of mountain and deer forest in Sutherland, once in the hands of the family. The noble family of Lord Reay went to Holland in the 8th century and became Dutch citizens.
They returned and regained British citizenship earlier this century. Tourist facilities have been provided at the attractive harbour of Sandside. Reay Church dates back to 1739. and is of the familiar Caithness pattern with external tower stair and contemporary loft and pulpit. In the churchyard on the opposite side of the road is the ruin of a much earlier church with a carved Celtic cross-slab. About 4.5 miles north east of Reay situated near the edge of the rocks, is the ruin of the oldest ecclesiastical structure in the county St Mary's Chapel, which probably dates from the 12th century. All that remains is the chancel and the roofless nave. Doureay lies on the coast between Reay and the chapel.