- Lochmaddy Latitude 57.6046° N Longitude -7.1622° W
- Lochmaddy Postcode HS6
- Lochmaddy WOEID 27246
- Lochmaddy Map
- Lochmaddy Weather forecast
- Lochmaddy Reviews
Lochmaddy the capital of north Uist and also its principal port, has the former County Buildings, Sheriff Court and several shops, a hotel and guest-houses, and there are car ferry services to the mainland and Harris. There is excellent harbourage in its well sheltered and island studded extensive sea loch, and a coast-guard station.
The name derives from three oddly shaped rocks near the harbour entrance. These are called ‘maddies" because they have the appearance of crouching dogs, “mudadh” being the Gaelic for a dog.
In the 17th cent. Lochmaddy was an important ﬁshing and curing station and the islands in the loch were used for the latter purpose; some authorities maintain that the name Loch maddy is connected with a type of shellﬁsh then available.
It was at the Sheriff Court here that those unlucky enough to be caught helping to relieve, without approval of H.M. Customs and Excise the whisky-laden ship stink off Eriskay in 1941 faced trial.
At Sponish, 1 mile north west of Lochmaddy, seaweed is processed at an alginate factory, the products being used in an enormous range of manufacture, from jellies and cosmetics to toothpaste and medicated bandages, and it provides a valuable asset to the Uist economy.
A large whitewashed house at Ruchdi some 0.25 miles on the north east Ferry road from Lochmaddy, was the home of the lst Viscount Dunrossilis father. Better known as W S. Morrison. Speaker of the House of Commons
1951 to 1959, who became Governor General of Australia on his retirement and received a peerage.
Lord Dunrossil took his title from a hill, the site of an ancient fort "Dun Rossil‘, near his old home.
The house is occupied by his nephew. Dr lain M. Morrison, Chief of the Clan Morrison.