Wigtown Visitors Guide
Wigtown, Wigtownshire, This ancient town Was a burgh holding of the Crown before 1292; it was probably chartered in the 12605. It was formerly the county town of Wigtownshire, and stands on the west side of Wigtown Bay. It has a pleasant medieval layout and a central square. There are two town crosses. The ‘Old Cross’, dating from 1748, is a column 10 ft high, topped by a square stone with dials; the other was erected to commemorate the Battle of Waterloo.
The ancient church Was dedicated to St Machutus, who died in A.D. 554. It Was rebuilt in 1730, but is now a ruin. An interlace cross-shaft in the churchyard dates from the 10th century The parish church, adjoining the ruin, was built in 1853. The churchyard contains an inscribed stone in memory of the 'Wigtown martyrs’, Margaret McLauchlan and Margaret Wilson, who were tied to a stake and drowned by the rising tide for adherence to the covenanting faith. They, and other martyrs, are commemorated by the Martyrs’ Monument, which stands on high ground above the town.
Some 3 miles north west are the Standing Stones of Torhousekie, an ancient monument dating from the Bronze Age, and consisting of nineteen stones, which form a complete circle.
There is the mound of a medieval castle (1260) on the edge of the salt marshes beside the town.
Kilsture Forest Walk, laid out by the Forestry Commission to give the visitor an idea of the variety of trees planted and the reasons for choosing them, is 4 miles to the south. Wigtown offers a lovely place to visit and make a holiday base with its hotels, B&B, Guest Houses and self catering.