- Posts: 11
- Thank you received: 0
The town originated to the south of the River Lossie on the higher ground above the flood plain, for much of Elgin's recorded history it was isolated from the rest of Scotland, with the Cairngorms to the south of the town it was protected by two unbridged and often uncross-able rivers, the River Spey to the east and the River Findhorn to the west.
For those with an interest in Scotland's most famous of malt whisky, find the Gordon and MacPhail's shop, in South Street, this family run business was founded in 1895 and much of the current world-wide enthusiasm for single malts can be traced to Gordon and MacPhail's consistent production of independent bottling over the centuries, here you can find priced, malt whiskey to suite every taste and every budget.
Situated in the heart of Moray and Speyside, the golf course is kept in immaculate condition by the green-staff and boasts stunning views over the town of Elgin and the Moray coast to the north and the hills stretching to the distant Cairngorm Mountains to the south, founded in 1906, Elgin Golf Club is widely regarded as one of the finest inland courses in the North of Scotland, measuring 6,458 yards with par of 69 and a standard scratch of 71, the challenging but fair course is a true test of low and high handicap players alike.
The clubhouse provides full catering and you will receive a warm welcome from the friendly bar staff. PGA “AA” professional Michael McAllan provides expert tuition and club fitting and also runs a well stocked shop.
The railway arrived in Elgin in 1852, and the link with Lossiemouth on the coast was crucial to both the growth of the town and its late 19th century prosperity, today the railway station has two platforms linked by a footbridge, a booking office and waiting room with a vending machine, with regular services from Elgin to Inverness and Aberdeen, with a single weekday train to Dundee and Edinburgh Waverley.
Elgin the ancient city and royal burgh, now headquarters of Moray District.
This is a town, Royal Burgh and a former cathedral city in Moray, Scotland, the High Street itself is pedestrianised, and the buildings are attractive, west it widens out into the market place, known as the Plainstones, an area dominated by the Neoclassical parish church of St Giles, much of the original medieval street plan remains the busy main street opens out onto an old cobbled market place, with all the shops to explore.
it is the administrative and commercial centre for Moray, it was first documented in the Cartulary of Moray in 1190 AD and a Royal Burgh in the 12th century by King David 1 of Scotland
Some 38 miles east north east of Inverness and 68 miles north west from Aberdeen, has a pivotal importance far greater than its population for the year 2018 of 23,128 34th most populated in the country, it is also the market town for the rich Laich of Moray and in addition to its outstanding cathedral and other antiquities it is fully equipped as a popular holiday resort and touring centre.
The old Elgin was compact and cruciform, laid out on a low ridge stretching east to west above the river Lossie. At the west end is the Lady Hill on which a royal castle stood from the 12th to the l5th century and was occupied in 1296 by Edward l of England, but its remaining ruins are fragmentary on the summit oft his hill is a tall column in honour of the Duke of Gordon, who died in 1836.
At the east end of the ridge is the Cathedral, and between these two monuments, from the south lace of Lady Hill to the limit of the Cathedral sanctuary, runs the ancient High Street and parallel to it on either side two subsidiary streets originally known as the North Back Gait and the South Back Gait, now Blackfriars Road and South Street, These three
streets were linked by a series of wynds running north and south of which Lossie Wynd and School Wynd (now Commerce Street) Formed the entries to the town.
Most of the characteristic 17th century houses were built of good freestone, of which there was a liberal supply locally and of which the mason craftsmen made such good use that by the opening of the l8th century the High Street was lined by handsome houses with piazzas or arcades.
Many were destroyed wantonly in the l9th century but in 1946 the Elgin Society was able to list twenty eight of these historic buildings, along its central portion the High Street widens to enclose the Muckle Cross (a restoration in which only the Scottish Lion is original), the parish church of St Giles (a classical building designed by Archibald Simpson in l828 to replace the ancient Muckle Kirk), a causeway and a fountain marking the site of the Old Tolbooth.
But Elgin’s greatest glory is the Cathedral, the ‘Lanthorn of the North’, possibly the most beautiful of all Scottish cathedrals and completed by the end of the l3th century it comprised of twin western towers, a nave of six bays with double aisles to north and south, a central tower with north and south transepts, and a long choir flanked by north and south aisles, having an octagonal chapter house still farther to the north.
The north and south transepts are of severe Transitional work and may have been inherited from the older Church of the Holy Trinity on the same site; but the choir is a masterpiece of early Gothic, with a double tier of lancets surmounted by a great rose window. French inspiration is traced in the west front with its magnificent portal set between massive flanking towers, and in the double aisles of the nave.
The chapter house was reconstructed after the most notable disaster in Elgin‘s early history. when in May 1390 that unruly scion of King Robert ll, Alexander Earl of Buchan, the notorious ‘Wolf of Badenoch’, enraged by the
sentence of excommunication passed upon him for previous misdeeds, burned both the burgh and the Cathedral. The shame of the final ruin of this great edifice, however must rest with the Privy Council of Scotland who in I567 ordered the roof to be stripped of its lead to raise funds for the paying of troops.
To the north west of the Cathedral is the ‘Bishop’s Palace’, now thought to have been the precentor's manse, a house of two wings linked by a square staircase tower, It bears the date 1557, and has interesting heraldic detail, to the south east is the Pans Port or Water Yett by the bank of the Lossie. lt represents the east gateway to the Cathedral and its college precinct.
The west front of the Cathedral faces Cooper Park, Elgin’s great central open space, rich in old trees, acres of lawns, playing-fields and a boating pond.
Within the park is Grant Lodge, the Georgian town house of the Grants of Grant, now the headquarters of the very efficient Moray District Library.
The Cathedral and Bishop‘s Palace are in the care of the Department of the Environment and open to the public.
Thunderton House, in a narrow lane called Thunderton Place off the south side of High Street, just west of the fountain, now a hotel marked by a plaque erected by the Elgin Society, represents part of the old Thunderton House, once the most splendid mansion in Elgin, belonging successively to the families of Moray, Duffus, and Dunbar.
Before that, in medieval times, the site was occupied by the ‘Great Lodging‘ of the Scottish kings. History repeated itself when Prince Charles Edward Stuart lodged here, prior to Culloden in March 1746.
Entered from the Abbey Street is the Church of the Greyfriars Monastery, which moved thither from another Elgin site in the later 15th century.
A long building without an aisle, it was restored in 1896 by John Kinross for the 3rd Marquess of Bute.
With its plastered walls and richly decorated screen, it recovers the true medieval feeling of the four bridges crossing the Lossie, the oldest is the Bow Brig (l630 to 1635) with its graceful single arch; next in date comes the pleasant Brewery Bridge of 1798.
About 3 miles east of Elgin to the south of the road to Fochabers is Coxton Tower, an architectural anachronism that is yet the most perfect example of its type surviving in Scotland. Although built in the early 17th century it adheres to the style of the great tower houses of over a century earlier, With corner turrets at opposite angles and an open bartizan at one of the other angles, it is a compact block of four storeys, all vaulted and with the vaults set at right angles to one another on alternate floors for strength.
The stone slab roof rests directly on the uppermost vault, so that the building is completely fireproof. It has been kept in perfect repair.