The town once held a royal castle and was a strong hold of the Earls of Ross until their downfall in 1476, according to some claims, this area was a royal burgh dated from 1226. Today Dingwall is a bustling market town, offering a variety of accommodation from Bed and Breakfast's to Hotel's to suite every pocket, the High Street is now bypassed by local traffic, allowing pedestrian traffic access to the high street. Here you can find the tollbooth centrally placed in the High Street it has a tower that dates back to 1730, though the wings that flank it were added in 1905. there is the Dingwall Museum at the east end of the High Street, overlooked by the towering Free Church of Scotland.
An attractive railway station, opened on 11 June 1862 when the company's line was opened from Inverness to Dingwall, the village has fine red stone buildings from which much of Dingwall is built, near the church at the north side of the town is an obelisk in memory of George the 1st Earl of Cromartie born 1630 – 1714, there is a tower on a hill south of the town built in 1907 commemorating the birth of General Sir Hector Macdonald nicked named ( Fighting Mac ) 1853-1903 who met a tragic end The son of a crofter MacDonald left school before he was 15, enlisted in the Gordon Highlanders as a private at 17, and finished his career as a major general, one of only a few British army generals who rose from the ranks on his own merit and professionalism.
He became a popular hero in Scotland and England, and was knighted for his service in the second Boer war he was posted to Sri Lanka as Commander-in-Chief of British forces, he had a very successful career until he committed suicide in 1903 following accusations of homosexual activity. The town of Dingwall has road and rail links to all areas in the Highland's and the rest of the country, the A9 which opened in 1975 by-passes the town centre relieving heavy traffic.