Start your search for Vacation Rentals and Accommodations in Culloden to book direct with owners through stay4you and enjoy Culloden which is a settlement in the Scottish Highlands located east of Inverness. It is currently a commuter town for Inverness, but it is best remembered for the 1746 battle that ended the Jacobite cause. The spectacular Bronze Age "Clava Cairns" and Cawdor Castle are located near the settlement.
The initial residents of the Culloden village lived in estate homes that were adjacent to Culloden House. Culloden House, which is now a hotel, the Culloden stables, which have been rebuilt as vacation houses, and the old tithe barn, which has been converted into the Barn Church are all examples of historic buildings in the area. The Loch Lann Kennels, the Doocot, and the Ice House are three further remarkable buildings located in the neighbourhood. In the 1960s, a region close to the ancient hamlet was drained for a council housing project, which included Culloden Stores, Culloden Academy, and Duncan Forbes Primary School. The latter school was named after the Forbeses of Culloden, who owned Culloden House from 1626 until 1897. Since then, there have been more new developments of private houses developed up around it. The former Culloden House has been converted into a posh country hotel.
Discover Vacation Rentals and Accommodations in Culloden
- Culloden Latitude: 57.477938 Longitude: -4.095744
- Culloden Postcode IV2
- Culloden Map
- Culloden Weather Forecast
- Culloden Reviews
- Scotland Accommodation
Culloden Moor, This is the site of the last battle fought on British soil and was the decisive conflict which ended the hopes of the Jacobites for a refurbished Catholic ascendancy. It is about five miles east of Inverness.
The battle resulted in the loss of 1200 men from the Highland army of Prince Charles Edward, against 310 lost from the Duke of Cumberland's forces.
Scattered in the field are simple headstones, marking the communal graves of clansmen, identified by their clan tartans.
Around the area off Culloden there are numerous establishments offering quality bed and breakfast accommodation for the weary traveller.
Old Leanack farmhouse, used by the Jacobites as a headquarters, is now a museum, and stands close by an interpretive centre run by the National Trust for Scotland.
A memorial cairn, erected in 188 it is the scene each April of a commemorative ceremony arranged by the Gaelic Society of Inverness.
It was after this battle, on 16th of April in 1746, that the Highlands suffered the unnecessary atrocities perpetrated by Cumberland's troops who, unlike the Jacobites, killed even wounded men, and then rampaged through the Highlands creating a desert which they called peace.
Today a new visitor’s centre has been opened well worth the visit.