Whoever you are, whatever you seek, it all starts here.

Where
When
Who
 

Fort George Information and Holiday Accommodation Guide, Fort George, is about 6 miles west of Nairn,  this is one of the most outstanding examples of Hanoverian military architecture, begun in 1748 and the last in a chain of three built in the Highlands (along with Fort Augustus and Fort William). Overlooking the Morav Firth, it formed part of the government's scheme to prevent armed Highland threats to Hanoverian law and order. By the time the fort was completed in 1769, the Highlands...

Inverness Attractions Guide
Inverness Attractions Guide

Inverness Attractions Guide

Inverness Attractions Guide The Northern Meeting Piping Competitions are held annually in Eden Court Theatre and are the oldest of all piping contests dating back to 1781. Inverness Castle is built around a series of earlier castles have preceded the present 19C building which serves as court house and administrative offices. On the first floor an imaginative and well presented exhibition "Inverness. Hub of the Highlands" interprets the rich heritage of the Highlands.

Topics of special local significance include the Great Glen, the vitrified fort Craig Phadrig (visible from the window), the Picts and their surviving works, to the engineering feats of more recent times, the military roads of General Wade, Telfords Caledonian Canal and the Kessock Bridge. The upper floor has exhibits on the Highland way of life and the silver producing centres of Inverness, Tain and Wick. The reception area of this level has a show case containing a presentation pair of Ooune pistols given by John Murdoch. Admire the exquisite craftsmanship of these guns dated c 1790. The esplanade with the statue of Flora MacDonald, affords a good view of the Ness and the town.

The Town House is a Victorian replacement, the scene of the first ever Cabinet Meeting outside London. in 1921. here you can find the base of the mercat cross incorporates the Clach- na-Cuddain or stone of the tubs, used as a resting place by washerwomen on their way to and from the Ness. As long as the stone remains Inverness will continue to flourish. Kessock Bridge. - Opened in 1982 this suspension bridge spanning the Beauly Firth carries the A9 north to the Black Isle 30 miles.

  • Inverness Latitude 57.477773 Longitude -4.224721
  • Inverness Postcode IV1
  • Inverness 4 Day Weather Forecast
  • Inverness Discussion Forum
  • Inverness Map
  • Inverness Reviews

Leave Inverness to the north by the Kessock Bridge and at the Tore roundabout take the A 832 to the right. With a total length of 3451ft the bridge's main span has a clearance of 95ft above high water. It is planned to build a second bridge over the Dornoch Firth further to the north. There is a good view* of Inverness as you cross the bridge. St Andrew's Cathedral. - Ardross Street. This imposing and richly decorated nee-Gothic edifice was built from 1866·9 for the Episcopal diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness. The nave piers are monolithic columns of polished Peterhead granite, the reredos and pulpit of carved stone. Both the choir screen and rood cross are by Robert Lorimer. Eden Court Theatre. - Bishop's Road is a custom-built leisure centre completed in 1976 comprises a theatre, conference centre and art gallery.

Tomnahurich Cemetery. - From the 220ft - 67m summit there is a good view of Inverness. Culloden. - 6 miles east of Inverness by the A9 has a new Visitors Centre. On the 16 April 1746 this bleak moor saw the end of the Jacobite Rising of 1745 when Prince Charles Edward Stuart's army was defeated by a government army under the Duke of Cumberland, the younger son of King George 11. His treatment of the injured and prisoners earned him the sobriquet "Butcher Cumberland".

The prince himself, after months in hiding as a fugitive escaped to France and lifelong exile. The visitor centre has an audio-visual programme entitled The Story of the Forty Five and a historical display, which help to place the battle in its historical context. Clava Cairns. - Same road out of Inverness as for Culloden. Turn right at the Cumber/and Stone then continue for 1 mile. This impressive site includes three cairns, girdled by stone circles, and a small ring of boulders. The middle cairn was a ring-cairn with its centre always open to the sky.

The two others had entrance passages leading to a burial chamber; they are now unroofed. Some of the stones of the cairns bear cupmarks. The complex is late Neolithic in date and each cairn and stone ring formed part of a single design. Beauly. - 12 miles west of Inverness. In a sheltered position at the head of the Beauly Firth this delightful village takes its name Beau Lieu from the name given to the 13C priory by the Burgundian monks . Beauly Priory. - The red sandstone priory was founded in 1230 like its two sister Valliscaulian houses, Pluscarden and Ardchattan. The remaining roofless church has a particularly elegant west front, unusual trefoil windows in the south wall of the nave and attractively framed windows in the chancel.

Highland Craftpoint - The objective of this centre is to develop and promote the Scottish crafts industry by providing a range of professional services. The public is welcome to visit the complex: exhibitions, audio-visual presentation and information services. In contradiction to its name this is a green peninsula, washed by the waters of the Beauly, Moray and Cromarty Firths, where fertile farmlands fringe the forested central ridge.
The rural charm of the Black ISle remains unspoilt by the industrial developments on the northern shore of the Cromarty Firth. Fortrose is a busy little town is the chief community of the Black Isle. David I founded the diocese of Ross in 1126 but it was more than 200 years later before the bishop and chapter moved from neighbouring Rosemarkie where there had been a Celtic settlement. Away from the bustle of the main street the remnant of the cathedral church makes an attractive picture in its peaceful setting* of green lawns enclosed by the charming red sandstone houses of the former close. The remaining south aisle has attractive vaulting and the damaged tomb of its builder Euphemia, Countess of Ross, widow of the Wolf of Badenoch.

The detached two storeyed building may have served as a sacristy and chapter house. Chanonry Point. - This looks over to Fort George only three miles distant. A monument commemorates the Brahan Seer put to death for a prophecy which displeased his patron's wife, the Countess of Seaforth. Rosemarkie has a popular beach. In the High Street. Groam House Museum has a very fine Pictish stone with elaborate interlaced designs and an audio-visual presentation on the Brahan Seer and the Black Isle countryside.

Cromarty is on the tip of the Black Isle peninsula, this village stands on the south side of the narrows, guarded by the hills, the Sutors of Cromarty, facing Nigg Bay to the north with its platform construction yard. This now peaceful village popular as a holiday place, was a thriving port in the lifetime of its most famous son, the stonemason turned writer and geologist Hugh Miller (1802-56). His birthplace, Hugh Miller's Cottage, is now a museum with geological specimens, documents and personal souvenirs of the man who wrote the classic work on the Old Red Sandstone.

Reviews & Discussions

5
1 review
Write a review
  • 1
  • 0
  • 0
  • 0
  • 0
Loved our short stay in Inverness
Stan
 · 7 months ago  ·  Inverness
Your review
Had a wonderful time in Inverness; we were only there for the weekend but found plenty to keep the whole family entertained. We took the open-top bus tour, which was fantastic for seeing parts of the city that we would have missed, and the children had a blast riding on the top deck. We intend to come back for a longer period of time.
Show more
0 of 0 people found the following review helpful

Visitors To Scotland Information Map

Latest Scotland Destinations Guides

Vistiting The Isle of Skye then checkout the stay4you Dunvegan holiday accommodation guide to discover a village which is picturesque and lies on the east side of the head of Loch Dunvegan on the...

Scalpay the large island, about 3 miles by 1.5 miles at the entrance to East Loch Tarbert, in Harris, mainly engaged in herring and lobster fishing, it is connected to North Harris by a vehicular...

Raasay Latitude 57.396959 Longitude -6.048078 Raasay Postcode IV40 Raasay Map Raasay Weather Forecast Raasay Reviews Raasay Inverness-Shire some five miles long long north east to south...

Inveraray Holiday Accommodation For Sale Or Rent - Book Direct With Owners A small town in Scotland's Argyll and Bute region is called Inveraray. It is located along Loch Fyne's western side, one...

Halkirk Holiday Stay Accommodation and Property Rentals to Book Direct With Owners Halkirk is a village on the River Thurso in Caithness, From Halkirk the B874 road runs towards Thurso in the...

Gordonstoun visitor information guide and Accommodation. Gordonstoun the famous school founded by Kurt Hahn in 1934 and attended by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, before he joined the Royal Navy,...