This is a Church of Scotland only 3 miles along from John O'Groats on the A836 main road to the west before Gills Bay Ferry Terminal a very ancient Parish Church dating back to about the 500s, the church of Canisbay is mentioned between 1223 and 1245, built on the mound covering the ruins of a brochold ruins of that chapel were found during the rebuild in the 1600s when the Mowats of Freswick were the patrons.
The kirk is cross shaped, the most northerly church on mainland Britain, a Category A listed building surrounded by a large cemetery, which is split into two sections, the new and old, the church features a square bell tower, nave and a porch, a large sandstone of the grave of Jan de Groot (John O'Groats) it stands in the vestibule now away from the elements.
The porch was added in 1891, when the other extensions and work was completed to the church building.
There are Sinclair graves on one corner and on the other a memorial for Rev Roderick MacGregor father of the Doctors MacGregor who lived in the village late 1800-early 1900s.
The church was attended by HRH The Queen Mother whenever she was in residence at the castle of Mey, the Duke & Duchess of Rothesay now visit when they are in the area.
- Canisbay Parish Church Geolocation Latitude 58.63856° N Longitude -3.13259° E
- Canisbay Parish Church Postcode KW1 4YB
- Canisbay Parish Church Map
- Canisbay Parish Church Weather Forecast
- Canisbay Parish Church Reviews
- Canisbay Parish Church Discussion Forum
- Canisbay Parish Church Tracks & Routes